In The Home
In The Home
Chemicals are a part of our every day lives.
Chemicals can sometimes be poisonous in larger amounts
or when used improperly.
Chemical accidents happen in the home and in the community.
How We are Exposed to Chemicals:
► By breathing in the fumes.
► By ingesting (swallowing) chemicals or contaminated food or water
► By absorbing (touching) chemicals or material with chemicals on it.
Symptoms of Chemical Poisoning:
Change in Skin Color
Irritated Skin, Eyes or Throat
Lack of Coordination
IF YOU HAVE A LIFE THREATENING CHEMICAL EMERGENCY, IMMEDIATELY CALL 9-1-1.
► If you want information on Chemical Emergencies or Chemical Poisoning,
Storage, Chemical Interactions, or General Chemical Information,
contact the following BEFORE an Emergency Situation occurs.
► Post these Phone Numbers by your telephone in case of Emergency.
AAPCC (American Association of Poison Control Centers)
(The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
Chemical Accidents in the Home Can Be Prevented
► Do Not Mix Household Chemicals.
For example, ammonia and bleach make a toxic gas
► Always read the label.
Look for words like Corrosive, Caustic, Toxic or Poison
Always read the directions for use.
Some chemicals should not be used in small spaces.
Some should be used when there is plenty of ventilation.
Some should be used only when wearing protective items such as gloves or goggles.
► Always store the product in the container in which it came.
If you must transfer a product to a different container, make sure it is clearly labeled.
► Never smoke when using chemical products.
The fumes from products like hair spray, some cleaners, paint products and pesticides
can catch fire or explode.
►Never use products around open flames, pilot lights, candles, fireplaces, BBQ's, or wood burning stoves.
► Only buy the amount of product you are going to use.
Stocking up on chemical Household Products can create a hazard.
If excess is stored in a garage or basement, it could explode under certain
conditions. Extra products stored in the house could emit toxic fumes,
or be deadly if gotten into by children or pets.
► If you spill a chemical product, make sure you put on rubber gloves,
then soak up the spill with paper towels or rags.
Carefully take the soaked rags outside and let them dry.
Then place them in a sealed plastic bag.
Read the product label or call your local waste management company for disposal information.
If the spill is outside, follow the same procedure, or pour cat litter on the spill to absorb it.
Disposal of Chemical Products
► If you are not sure what to do with spilled chemical products or empty containers,
contact your local Waste Management Company for instructions.
► Why Should You Dispose of Chemical Products Properly?
The answer is simple:
To protect you and your family, your neighbors and neighborhood, and the environment,
your water supply and wildlife.
Throwing chemicals on the ground can contaminate the soil,
can get into the water supply by going down storm drains,
and can harm pets and wildlife, to name a few.
Some of the products to keep in mind are:
Antifreeze (which is deadly to animals)
Brake Fluid, Motor Oil, Transmission fluid (any automotive product)
Drain Cleaners and other types of household cleaners
Paint Cans, Paint Strippers, Varnishes